SPECIAL EDUCATION TIDINGS
During my sabbatical I have been reading information produced by the Barna Research Group. Mr. George Barna is a commenter on religion in America. He recently wrote:
- "...millions of parents are unaware of the breadth of spiritual needs their children have."
- "...more than 40 million children do not know Jesus Christ as their savior, which suggests that there are some basic unmet spiritual needs that parents are overlooking."
- "No matter how hard a church tries, it is incapable of bringing a child to complete spiritual maturity: that is the job of the family!
- "While Churches offer classes and other programs for children, they do relatively little to equip parents to be effective spiritual guides."
These are strong accusations. I ponder how true they are of us at St. Thomas. For the families with children, the 8:30 Children's Sermon stresses the need for families to follow up with the children and youth, with a regular time of Scripture reading and discussion about its application in daily life.
For the children involved in Sunday School we provide additional study in age appropriate biblical materiall, to accomplish the same objective: personalize the faith.
We do NOT want our children and youth to become statistics in another research project. Barna concludes his piece with these words: "The more intentional a church is about giving parents the confidence and the tools to raise up spiritual champions, the more effective we found the congregation's parents to be as spiritual mentors".
Our goal is to encourage and equip the YOUTH of this parish and their parents to have a significant relationship with Jesus. To that end we employ a Christian Education coordinator (Ms. Althea Robinson) … a youth minister (Ms. Ayana Grady). Both of these ladies hope to help make you the best spiritual mentors of your children as you can be. We have a wonderful Sunday School program mapped out for the children and youth of the parish.
PLEASE HELP US HELP YOU!
To celebrate the start up of the new Church School year we announce:
RALLY DAY: SEPTEMBER 7TH ACTIVITIES
REGISTRATION: 10AM September 7th
Meet the teachers
Find your class room
Fill out the paper work
ADULT CHRISTIAN EDUCATION OPPORTUNITIES
- THE CASE FOR CHRIST
INSTRUCTOR: JOHN JONES
- ROMANS BIBLE STUDY
INSTRUCTORS: TREVOR CAMPBELL
CAROLE ANN STEELE
- FAITH:THE VICTORY TO OVERCOME THE WORLD
INSTRUCTOR: MIA GERBER
INSTRUCTOR: The Rev. Fr. Alvin Robinson
PARISH PICNIC: ALL AGES INVITED
When: 1 PM September 7th
Where: PALM COAST medium PAVALILLION
Our own SMOKIN JIM will be cooking hot dogs. YOU ARE ASKED TO BRING:
The Rt. Rev. John Howard will be at St. Thomas for the sacred rite of Confirmation on NOVEMBER 16TH … WE THEREFORE ANNOUNCE THE FOLLOWING:
- YOUTH ALPHA ANNOUNCED AS PRE-REQUSITE FOR CONFIRMATION:
Sunday evenings at 5pm any youth who'd like to be confirmed should be enrolled. Supper at 5pm … tape at 6pm … discussion and conclusion by 7:30pm. PARENTS ARE INVITED!
- ATTENTION ATTENTION ATTENTION ATTENTION
YOUTH ENTERING THE 6TH GRADE OR OLDER ELIGIBLE FOR CONFIRMATION MUST ATTEND SESSIONS WITH DEACON STEELE ON SATURDAYS FROM 9:30 - 11AM STARTING SEPTEMBER 6THAND CONTINUING THROUGH OCTOBER 4TH .
- FROM OCTOBER 11TH THROUGH NOVEMBER 22ND FROM 9:30-12NOON THIS SAME GROUP WILL MEET WITH FR. BOB FOR INSTRUCTION AND DISCUSSION.
ADULT CONFIRMATION ANNOUNCED!
ALPHA is a pre-requisite for adult confirmations, reaffirmations, or receptions from other catholic churches.